Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sügisball

Sügisball / Autumn Ball (2007)




Veiko Õunpuu – wow. This Estonian director really can do his magic. As with “Püha Tõnu kiusamine” (The Temptation of St. Tony) this movie is so different, so original, so powerful, so strange than most of the movies I usually come over.
This story deals with a bunch of sad people and their sad relationships. I’m actually not so fond of many character stories in movies, but this I enjoyed.
Even though the sad story, there are plenty of funny scenes and dialogs that kicks it up.
What the director is really capable of is to get the viewer sucked in the atmosphere, using beautiful cinematography, powerful soundtrack, unpredictable and surprising scenes. The acting is super, everything is great. As with his other movie, I didn’t understand the whole of this. Maybe I understood 1/3. When I mentioned great soundtrack, I can tell you that there was music from Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nick Cave and Bohren und der Club of Gore.
One minus with the movie: maybe too long.

My rating: 9/10

No comments: